As promised, here are the presentation files from the ONETUG presentation the other night.
The .zip contains both the powerpoint slides that I used in the presentation, and the two sample projects I developed during the presentation.
- This sample shows some basic 2D techniques for dealing with sprites on the screen.
- Simple velocity calculations for locomotion (Position += Velocity)
- Orbiting one sprite around another
- Launching projectiles at a steady pace.
- Sprite helper class that makes it easy to position sprites around the world.
- I didn't use it in the sample, but I also have a ResourcePool datatype that makes it easy to reuse entities without having to reallocate new memory. This is actually a really useful technique, I'd like to write about it in a separate blog post.
- First Person Shooter style Camera. It's a GameComponent, so you just have to add it to the Components collection to use it.
- Used the QuadDrawer class from the 3D Audio sample. I added a few useful overloads and methods to let you draw billboarded sprites and the floor.
- ModelSprite that makes drawing sprites and positioning it about the world easy.
- Used the Sky box processor from the Generated Geometry sample.
- All the helper classes (QuadDrawer, ModelSprite, and Sky) all know the camera, so they can make use of its view and projection matrix.
Thanks to everyone who showed up :-)